Sunday, June 4, 2017

Soda Unloading and Bubble Glazing

It was a beautiful sunny day today for our unloading of the soda kiln.  These were the treasures awaiting us this morning.
Soda fired ceramics at Shadbolt Center for the Arts in Burnaby, BC.

We tried to wait patiently for all our classmates to arrive, taking turns taking photos while we waited.
Soda kiln unloading at Shadbolt Center for the Arts, Burnaby BC.

We took a group shot (missing Crystal, who arrived a few minutes later), and then formed our bucket brigade, to unload and admire each piece.  I'm glad Fredi posted our group photo.  What a nice group of people, I have enjoyed working with them, and enjoying their creativity.
Soda firing workshop class at Shadbolt Center for the Arts, Burnaby BC.
I was really happy with my batch of about 20 pieces.  Some didn't turn out how I had envisioned, but none of them was a disappointment.  We got lots of colors and variations in this soda firing.
Some results of the recent soda firing, beautiful pottery.
Fredi was collecting a few samples for the window display, and asked me for this piece :
Soda fired leaf imprint pottery by Lily L.
It is the imprint from fresh scented geranium leaves, surrounded by black slip.  It turned out really black.  Very nice result.

I will be posting more photos when I have time and energy, and good lighting for photos.  I want to take my time and enjoy taking photos, so I may take a while to work through them.  But in the meantime, I'll give you a photo of my friend Cindy with her weird duck creation.  It brought a smile to my face, and I love the crackly texture from the "Cobra" glaze :
Soda firing piece.
We ended the class with a lovely potluck lunch.  Then I went back to "work", trying to glaze all my pieces (about 20 more) which didn't go into the soda firing.  I got most of them done, but there are a few pieces I'll need to finish up in July, when Shadbolt re-opens for drop-in workshops.

Our teacher Jay was demonstrating bubble glazing the other day.  I have been wanting to try it for some while, and I also had a few pieces which had enough smooth surface area (not easy to find, with my love for textures) which was suitable for it.  So I decided to go for it.  With the help of my friend Cindy (it turns out the bubble glazing benefits from extra hands!!), I glazed these pieces :
Bubble glazed pieces, in progress.
...and then these pieces :
Bubble glaze pottery pieces, in progress.

I was glad to see a few more people inspired to try it also, like my friend Karie.  Look at the size of those bubbles :
So now I wait, for the next chance to start picking up finished pieces.  But I'm fortunate also to be signed up with a workshop with Tony Clennell next weekend.  So I won't be away from clay for long.  Not to mention, I keep a small stash of odds and ends in my garage, in case I feel the sudden need to stick my fingers into some.

No comments:

Post a Comment