With both a soda class and a regular throwing class this term, I got a lot of pieces. I was glad to be able to pick up most of my non-soda pieces last week. The first one was already posted previously. Here are the remainder :
threw in Jay's class, as an exercise, following another student's drawing, and then I added the carving decoration around the middle. It was thrown from 1900g of 570 white clay. It was glazed Deep Blue in the middle band, then white above and below, and inside. Then bubble glazed with Deep Blue. I had help from my friend Cindy, who turned the vessel and caught the bubbles, as I focused on blowing them without laughing (which was tough for me).
bubble glazed with Deep Blue and Amber Celadon.
bubble-glazed with Deep Blue, and I added Deep Blue to the little rectangular accent in the center (which makes for a nice finger hold when picking up the vase).
This one made a nice house-warming gift for my friend Helen yesterday. I filled it with peonies from my garden (complete with the usual accompaniment of ants) before taking it over :
foot for my enormous dragon bowl. But when I assembled the other two pieces, they already looked large enough, and they seemed too heavy to rest on this open bowl. I have since learned, at the Tony Clennell workshop, that a closed foot would be a better choice (such as that provided to my big vase). So I ended up taking this big bowl, and carving some texture on the side, and then glazing in Bamboo, with Amber Celadon sponged onto the texture, and bubble-glazed onto the remainder of the bowl. I love how the glaze ran a bit, and pooled as a rich dark brown in the center, on the softer yellow/brown of the Bamboo.
6 little yunomi or tea cups I had thrown and textured from the soda clay. One had made it into the soda firing (see #1 here), and the others were glazed and sent to the cone 10 gas firing. This is my favorite non-soda piece. It was glazed with Amber Celadon and Deep Blue, which were gently wiped off, and then sprayed with Clear Glaze (including on the Inside).
My notes tell me that I have two more little cups to track down, next time I'm at the studio.
applied inlaid sheets of clay to a vessel. For a description of how this one was created, see the original post. It was then glazed with Khaki inside, and sprayed Clear outside, to preserve the design.
earlier photo. When I came to glazing, I was in a bit of a rush, and couldn't remember if I liked Gordon's Shino, or the Malcolm Davis Carbon Trap Shino. One had provided great results in the past, and the other very disappointing. I should have consulted my notes rather than listening to the advice I received, which was to use the Gordon's Shino. It is now on my black list, and I hope not to use it again. See #30, #31 and #32 in this post, for the shino effect I was hoping for instead.
textured vases went into the soda firing, with very good results. But this one had a crack on the bottom (not all the way through), so I decided not to use my 2 cubic foot allotment for it, and glazed it in Ash Yellow glaze instead. I like the result, and the bit of blush / orange on one side.
crackled pottery in this post), but the most famous one. :-)
Other than those 2 yunomi cups which I need to look for, I have a few bigger pieces which I am not rushing, so they are either drying, or awaiting glazing. So I look forward to being allowed back into the studio soon to continue.