Monday, July 25, 2016

First Finished Porcelain Items

I made four pieces in a recent porcelain workshop with Tanis Saxby.  Three of them have been through cone 6 firing, and I was happy to be able to bring them home yesterday.  I will take better photos when I have a chance, but here they are in the studio :
Tanis Saxby inspired porcelain floral sculptural pieces by Lily L.

I was a bit disappointed by the colour of the finished pieces.  They are noticeably yellow.  I had the impression that we fired them to cone 6, rather than our usual cone 10, so that they would be more white.  But Linda Doherty indicated to me that they should fire more white at cone 10, so I have my final piece awaiting a cone 10 gas firing, and hope for better results.

Here is the final bisque fired piece (left) beside the cone 6 fired piece (right), so you can see the colour difference:
Tanis Saxby inspired porcelain floral sculptural pieces by Lily L.

Tomorrow I will be picking up the 12 pieces from this weekend's soda firing.  I can't wait to see the results, and to find out whether I will be hooked on soda firing.  I hope not too much, since I had to cancel the soda firing I was registered for in September, as I just found out that it happens before the studio at Shadbolt re-opens from summer break, so I won't have enough time to make 2 cubic feet of objects before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment