Saturday, July 9, 2016

Dragon Mask

I was so inspired by the recent Bob Kingsmill workshop, and so love the feel and performance of the Little John clay for sculptural purposes.  I can't seem to keep my hands out of it.  Last night was no exception.  I was "watching" a couple of episodes of TV (on Netflix), and this dragon mask emerged on the kitchen counter :
Clay dragon mask in progress, by Lily L.
It's a bit more dinosaur or rhino than dragon, but I still like how it turned out, and the textures that I played with should pick up a stain very nicely.  The clay will be a beautiful brown when fired to cone 10 in reduction (which is what we have available to us at Shadbolt).

Here is the side profile :
Clay dragon mask in progress, by Lily L.
And a closeup of some of the texture.  The little circles were from the front of a retracted ballpoint pen.  I'm pretty happy with that effect :
Closeup of clay dragon mask in progress, by Lily L.
I'm pretty happy overall with this first mask.  I already know where I will hang it, above the fireplace that holds my dragon collection.  There are two walls above the fireplace, so I will need to make another one also.  Which will be my pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment