Thursday, October 29, 2015

Leafy Goblet

I was thinking to roll a thin coil and attach that to the goblet, but as I started rolling a coil, I realized that either it would be too thick, or too difficult to wrap it on the goblet, without crushing or deforming it.  I guess if I had a thick foam pad, that may work.  But anyhow, I decided instead to make my own slip, by mixing clay and water, and used slip trailing to draw branches / vines onto the goblet.  Then I used the plaster sprig mold I made a few weeks ago, to make leaves.  Here is the result, from a few different angles:
Beautiful handmade ceramic / pottery / stoneware goblet with leaf design, in progress.
 You can see my glass cup with the slip I mixed up:
Ceramic / pottery / stoneware goblet with leaf design, in progress.
 ...and the round sprig mold lying on the counter, behind the goblet :
Ceramic / pottery / stoneware goblet with leaf design, in progress.
What do you think?  I'm really lovin' it.  If I had more time, I would be really tempted to throw a few more of these.  Although I guess I've run out of time this term, so I'll need to try again in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment