Monday, October 26, 2015

Another Leaf (Fern) Imprint Vessel

I was so pleased by my experiment yesterday, inspired by @leavesofclay, that I decided to decorate my other more spherical vase using the same technique of imprinting leaves.  This time I foraged for leaves in the garden before it was dark.  Good thing, since it is a gorgeous full moon tonight, but I wouldn't want to be out there with a flashlight looking for leaves tonight.  I have too vivid of an imagination, and have watched too many movies...

I was thinking of decorating with various different types of hardy geranium leaves.  But then I pinched a few different kinds of ferns too, and soon decided to make an all fern design.  It incorporates four different kinds of ferns.
Ceramic pottery vessel with leaf imprints, this time fern fronds, in progress.
It is somewhat therapeutic to make the little indents all around the fern fronds.  The time seems to pass quickly.  Although afterward my neck is a bit sore, and often my left hand is sore from holding the vessel.  This time I was careful to rest my hand against the counter, so it wouldn't be bearing too much weight.
Ceramic pottery vessel with leaf imprints, this time fern fronds, in progress.
When the ferns are removed, the imprints left behind are not as dramatic as those of the viburnum leaves, but I think they look really pretty.  What do you think?
Ceramic pottery vessels with leaf imprints in the clay, fern fronds versus viburnum leaves.
Ceramic pottery vessels with leaf imprints, fern fronds versus viburnum leaves.
That's the only two vessels I have at home, so I'll need to wait until Wednesday to do any more playing with clay.  Hopefully these will dry by then so I can take them in to get them bisque fired.

The one with an opening, I will give it a nice glaze inside, and just leave the outside rough and stained.  I think it would make a really nice vase.  If I could bear it, the other one would make a really nice ceramic totem topper.  Although I suspect it may want to stay indoors.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment