Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Finished Items from July Pottery : First Two Seashell Footed Plates and Sea Blue Mug

I was happy to be able to pick up my first few items from the July pottery workshops before glazing the remainder.  In particular, I was able to see my first two seashell / beach themed footed plates, which helped with glaze selection for the final two.

I'm very pleased by how these pieces turned out. (Some days the glazes actually work for you instead of against you!) :
Beautiful seashell / beach themed pedestal plates by Tiger Lily Pottery.
Beautiful seashell / beach themed pedestal plates by Tiger Lily Pottery.

This is a shot of some of my pedestal plates in progress :
Beautiful seashell / beach themed pedestal plates in progress by Tiger Lily Pottery.

And here they are, one by one :
Beautiful seashell / beach themed pedestal plate by Tiger Lily Pottery.
1) This was my first footed plate, thrown from 1200 g of Columbia Buff w/ Grog clay, which is a wonderful and versatile gritty clay from Seattle Pottery Supply.  Sadly, our studio has run out of it, so I need to wait until September to use it again.  Good thing the studio is closed for all of August, so it won't feel as long of a wait for the clay.

It is sitting on a sturdy little closed pedestal, and I used a silicone mold for fondant making, to make the pretty seashells.  It is glazed in Bamboo, with a bit of Daly Blue poured in the middle, to look like water on the beach.

Beautiful seashell / beach themed pedestal plate by Tiger Lily Pottery.
2) This pedestal bowl/plate was thrown from 1300g of the Columbia Buff w/ Grog clay.  It also features seashells, but this one is more of a beach scene, with the waves washing across the seashells.  I glazed the seashells in White, the starfish (which is my creation, not from a mold) in Flambe, and then waxed the top of the starfish and some of the larger seashells, before dipping it twice (or maybe even 3 times) in Daly Blue, each time receding to the one side, to simulate the wave washing the beach.  I really like this effect, and think I will be doing more of these in the future.

I have two more similar pedestal plates which are probably being fired by now, or very soon.  I can't wait to see those also.

I didn't take enough photos of the blue mug yet, so I will post notes about it once I have some accompanying photos.  Same with the big stump I was creating for my sister, or potentially for my garden, if it doesn't suit the purpose I had in mind for her.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment