Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Enormous Gunnera Leaf Pottery Bowls

The funny thing is that the 2 gunnera leaves I brought to the studio to create bowls from, are actually among the smallest leaves on my gunnera plant.  The biggest ones, they wouldn't fit in the kiln, nor would I have the strength to lift them, unless I made them in sections.

Anyhow, here is the first gunnera bowl, which survived the bisque firing with only a small crack.  So I have my fingers crossed (when they're not in clay) that it will survive the final firing intact.
Enormous gunnera leaf plate by Tiger Lily Pottery.

I prepared a slab using the slab roller, and pressed the leaf (with some of the prominent veins shaved down to a manageable thickness) into it, using a pastry roller.  I then slumped it onto the outside of a big mold which I know has been used for bird baths, and has fit into the kilns.  I wanted to make a sort of foot for it (although not a precisely level one, as it will probably just go into the garden, not stay indoors), which I did with coils.  Then I reinforced it in various spots, using leftover strips from the slab :

So far so good.  And it did just fit into the kiln :

After that first leaf, which was almost too much for me to handle, I decided to make a smaller leaf.  This one I am hoping will end up in the living room or kitchen.  So I made it a nice even foot (extruded, since I am not particularly adept at rolling coils), and placed it on with a level.  I am really excited to see this one.  I think it will be particularly beautiful.

Here they both are, waiting for me to continue working with them in September.  I didn't want to rush the first one, which I plan to finish with stains, perhaps not even glaze at all.

In between working on the huge gunnera leaves, I also made a few small leaf plates from hydrangea leaves and Davidii Involucrata (my beloved David or Dove Tree) leaves.  I amuse myself by using a small snake as a foot.  I think it is a lovely surprise when someone turns the plate over (although perhaps not everyone thinks a snake is a thing of beauty as I do) :

Stay tuned.  I hope to be able to pick up some of these pieces prior to September, and will be sure to post photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment