Friday, May 4, 2018

Finished Mugs and Small Items

I took a few more photos today, of some mugs and other small items which I plan to provide to the good folks at Hemlock Mountain Coffee in Agassiz, BC.  I think the smaller items are more popular with their customers, and don't take as much shelf space either.

26) According to my notes, this mug was thrown from half of a mix of 900g "whitish" clay and 300g "brownish" clay.  My notes also describe the shape as "boring", although it has my fun wiggle wire bottom.  It was glazed in Ash Yellow (which gives it a rustic country look) + Daly Blue (which gives it a drippy shiny smooth surface).  I like the combination, and think I'll be exploring this combination again.

27) This mug was thrown from 700 g of H440 brown clay, but then I added a wavy pattern of white slip around the belly, so that the Daly Blue glaze would be brighter.  Other than flowing over and almost hiding the wavy texture, I like what it did for the colors, and the contrast between the bright cheery blue and the grainy speckly blue/brown on the remainder of the mug.

28) I threw this small bowl / cup a couple terms back, from B-Mix clay, and then pressed in trimmings from marbled brown/yellow clay.  It was glazed in Malcolm Davis Carbon Trap Shino, and I'm pleased with the gold highlights on the outside and the reddish inside.  Shino at its best.


29) This is NOT a small piece, it is a rather large set of nesting bowls.  I am very pleased by my first attempt, and how well they nest.  They were thrown from B-Mix clay, the sizes roughly :
 a) 4400g, 13.5 cm high, 29 cm inside diameter
 b) 2800g, 10 cm high, 25 cm outside diameter, 24 cm inside diameter
 c) 1900g, 8.5 cm high, 21 cm outside diameter, 20 cm inside diameter
 d) 1200g, 7.2 cm high, 17.5cm outside diameter, 16.5 inside diameter

The tricky part was judging where the foot was going to be, and the height of the subsequent bowl.  But they seemed to work out really well for first try.  I hope to try again some day, and make another set.

They are glazed in White, with an overlap of Daly Blue (which produces that soft lavender color).

30) I was originally aiming for a nesting set of 5 bowls, and the smallest one was :
e) 800g, 6.5 cm high, 13.5 outside diameter

But I crunched it while trimming it, and I didn't have more B-Mix at the time, so I made a replacement (just to get the measurements worked out) in Columbia Buff w/ Grog clay.

This little bowl taught me a lot about glazes.  Although it is glazed in the same White with overlap of Daly Blue, the look is entirely different than the nesting bowl set.  However, instead of the vibrant and smooth, almost two dimensional glazes on the B-Mix, the colors on this clay are so much more subtle, but with so much more dimension and feeling.  I have been really impressed with this clay, but I'm now in love with what it does with the glazes.  I need to make a nesting set with this clay.

31) I threw this sweet little box in one piece, pushed in a narrow band, and cut it, to create a tight fitting lid.  My notes indicate it was H550 grey clay, and I was waiting for some while until the Daly Blue glaze became available, before glazing it.  It did not disappoint.  It is glazed Bamboo inside, and on the bottom part of the box.  Then Daly Blue on the top part.  Such pretty colors, and freckles.

I think that's it for tonight.  I'm still making my way through my notes, trying to figure out which pieces I haven't taken photos of yet, and catching up on my posts.

One of the reasons I've fallen behind, is that somewhere along with way, I decided to create a simple website to highlight some of my favourite pieces.  I'm not particularly pleased with the result, but I do have a primitive website : https://lilyligocki1.wixsite.com/pottery

No comments:

Post a Comment