I started out this morning thinking that I would throw some small pots for the soda firing, and cut some leaves from my garden in case I wanted to make any more leaf imprinted vessels, or leaf pendants for the soda firing. But when I arrived at class, I remembered that I had that monster vase from last week, which I needed to assemble.
It took most of the class time to combine them, and then soften the clay which I had left on the bottom of the 2nd pot (which became the top of my monster pot), so that I could throw it, and attach handles. What I had in mind originally was something like this pot which inspired me on our recent trip to France, with decorative handles :
But I realized that if I were going to go to the trouble of making decorative handles, I would want to make it worth my while, and make dragons. So thus started my adventure :
I ended up extruding and altering the three tubes which became three dragons on my pot. But for the first while, my classmates were all commenting the snakelike creature I was making. It was only when I added the wings, that the dragon forms emerged.
Here is another angle, with the one dragon peeking past the other :
The concept of the dragons was part inspired by the little dragon mugs made by FiredFigments on Instagram, and part inspired by some dragon vessels I saw in China, which featured dragons as handles, which were biting onto the edges of the vessel. So I decided my dragons would be biting the pot in a similar manner. Here is an example, from the Xian Museum, which our family visited in our 2014 trip:
The wings were a challenge, but making the little faces was a delight. I decided that each one would be different. Here are a few angles to see the three little faces :
I am very pleased with the result. With the dragons, this is easily 30+ lb of clay, which is incredible. I had warned Jay that I would ask him to carry it downstairs for me, but in the end I decided to attempt it myself, and almost didn't make it. By the time I had placed this vessel safely on a table in the damp room, my arms were shaking and I was exhausted.
I can't wait to see the final result. What an amazing piece this will be.
Oh, and during the process, I forgot that I had a third piece which was to be the pedestal, but I'm not sure I would even dare attempt that anymore. I think I'll just call it done, and pray that the bottom (which will remain untrimmed) will not crack.