Too bad I will be missing Fredi's class this weekend, due to the Sun Run. So I'm so glad I have Jay's class to keep me going... This past week I trimmed and decorated a few pieces from the prior week, and then threw 4 more pieces.
After decorating that sphere last week with the scented geranium leaves, I had the great idea to make a geranium decorated vase for my friend Beth, who gave me that beautiful scented geranium, which I have been enjoying all winter on my windowsill. She is a wonderful and creative person, and I think she will really enjoy this surprise.
I got to talking with a classmate about double-walled vessels again. I had that one from last week, which was sort of plain, and didn't suit itself well to carving the outside wall, so I shaped the rim into a floral shape. I'm really pleased with the result (top vessel, photo below).
The challenge Jay gave us in class was to throw a vessel bigger than we have ever thrown before, and then throw a second similar one with no bottom, which will be combined with the first one, and then we'll throw a coil on top. So we'll end up with something roughly 2.5 or 3 times as tall as we can throw.
I was pretty impressed that I was able to throw a pretty nice pot from 3200 g (7 lb) of clay. I don't remember that I've thrown more than 5 lbs previously. And this one is certainly larger, as I am throwing much thinner now. The rim was a diameter of 8". Here are the two pots :
Before I packed it in, I ended up throwing a beautifully shaped egg, which I suspect will hatch one of these days. More photos to come, I'm sure.