Here it is, in progress :
This was a bottle I threw a week or so ago, and today I covered it in "No. 6 soda slip", which is a slip which Jay formulated, so that it already has properties of a flashing slip for the soda firing. So I think with this one, I will stain to show the details of the veins and texturing, and then leave it unglazed (except inside). I want to try various different approaches and see which one I like the best. Hopefully all of them.
This class, I threw 2 spherical shaped closed vessels, and accelerated their drying in the wind (and bit of sun) outside, so that I could trim and finish them today also. For both, I decided to cut an opening off-center, so that they could be used as a funky vase. Funny, but my instructor Jay passed by, and commented that the hole was off center. My other instructor, Fredi, commented that she liked how the hole was off center, and the "movement" that it created. It's fun to see different reactions and perspectives. But most people respond positively to my work.
Here is the first one, also with the anemone leaves pressed into the No. 6 soda slip, and then black slip painted around them :
Here it is, in progress :
With the help of the heat gun, I was able to dry the slip enough to be able to handle it.
By the time I got to the final vase, I had run out of the anemone leaves, so I went for a short walk and picked some flowers and leaves of Pacific bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa). The flowers didn't turn out so well, but I like how the leaves worked out :
(Sorry I'm too lazy to crop those photos.)
I also threw another vase with a bulbous shape, and decorated with a texture slip (I think it was the one labelled as "Arlynn's soda slip", but I don't know if it has any flashing slip qualities to it, so I may add a flashing slip on top).
The other exercise was to combine those two big pieces we threw last week, and then add a coil and throw a third piece on top. First I had to cut off the rim of each piece, as they were a bit too thin at the edge. Then I needed to push one out a bit, as it was no longer the same size.
Finally I managed to get my pieces combined, but it was a long and painful process to make sure they were really connected well.
I'm happy that I have a half dozen pieces now, which are suited for the soda firing. With a number of others which could be used in the soda firing, or regular gas firing, depending on how I feel. I am still waiting to receive my bag of No. 6 clay, for the soda firing. I missed the distribution on Sunday, so will get some from the next batch this coming Sunday.