Sunday, January 29, 2017

Bonus Pottery Day and More Eggs

It may have only been 4 hours today, but it was a wonderful afternoon with my hands in clay.  I was glad that my family agreed to let me go, and I wanted to make the best of it.  As usual, I was quite productive.  This time, making eggs.
I made 5 eggs, and then dried them just enough with the hair dryer to be able to flip and trim them by the end of the session.  They dented a little, but I was able to smooth them over with a chamois.

The two vessels from Wednesday, shown in the photo at the top, were also not dry enough to trim.  So I force dried the round one enough to trim it, and put the other one back in the cellar for another time.  As I mentioned before, I am thinking to use these for the raku firing.  The bulbous one, I plan to use thin strips of tape to create some sort of diamond or mosaic pattern, and then use different glazes in between.  The round one, I don't know if I'll glaze in a similar manner, or pierce it, to create a candle holder.  I find the candle holders to be quite practical.  Like this beautiful candle holder which I made for my sister.

Anyhow, I decided to bring a few eggs home, as my experience has been that if I leave clay eggs in the kitchen long enough, they tend to hatch, as experienced here, and here, and here.  Sure enough, one has already started hatching tonight :
What do you think?  I think I'll be happy if they all hatch.  :-)

Oh, and I should add that I checked out my crackly planter.  I was thinking to add feet to it, but when I checked it out today, I thought it looked quite fine the way it was, so I decided not to mess with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment