Yesterday was my first day back in the pottery studio, and I came home sore and tired in all the right ways, and so very happy. It seems it has been a long time waiting to get back to it, so I am so glad to be back, even if I can still only spend one day a week doing pottery.
I had to be a bit patient with myself, since I am still a beginner at the wheel, and I needed to get my confidence back. So I'm glad our instructor, Jay, had us starting with some totem pieces. I'm happy to throw more pieces, since I have some finished from last year, but not enough to add a third totem to the garden yet. And any pieces, no matter what shape, can be a totem piece, with the addition of holes at two ends.
I ended up throwing 7 pieces, and then drying them a bit with the hairdryer so I could trim and finish 5 of them already. I ended up finishing the whole bag of Plainsman 550 grey clay.
Here are the first 4 pieces, just after throwing them :
The one on the right, I threw with holes on both ends already, to be a totem piece, and altered it while still in the wheel, to have a bit of a pattern. I hope to pick a glaze which will accentuate rather than hide the rings.
The one at the front, was meant as a garden ornament (upside down) or totem topper. I intentionally created a few ridges in the shape, so I could alter it with a stick, to get something like this:
The shape at the back was originally going to be an acorn, thrown with the pointy side down, and the cap at the top. But half way through throwing it, I managed to push the piece right off the bat. So after that, it was too wonky to finish as an acorn. It looked more like it wanted to be a swirl of soft ice cream. So I helped it along a bit :
The donut was a challenge to my throwing abilities. I have made a donut in the past. And then I've made a few pieces which were supposed to be donuts, but ended up not closing up, so becoming succulent pots, etc. So I was pleased when I was able to make this donut close up. And again I forced it to dry enough so I could trim and finish it :
The vase turned out a bit wonky at the top also, so if I'm up to it, I'll play a bit with it next week, and alter it. But then again, I have some ideas in my head for some sodium silicate crackly pots, and Jay is talking about showing us that next week, so I suspect that will keep me busy instead. We'll see. I also want to make something bowl-like with a large ceramic mold he has available.