Thursday, November 5, 2015

Another Leaf Imprint Vessel and Bartmann Jugs in Progress

I stained my two leaf imprint items, and hope that they will be fired before my next class, which is in two weeks.  I stained one in red iron oxide :
Beautiful leaf imprint ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
...the other in a stain which is named "Bob Kingsmill wash", named after the ceramic artist who has taught a number of sculptural type classes at Shadbolt Centre :
Beautiful unique leaf imprint ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
On the second one, I glazed the inside, and then clumsily dripped or splashed glaze on the side of the vessel, but was able to wipe away much of it, so hopefully it will not ruin the piece.

I was so pleased with how these worked out, that I decided to finish my other large spherical vessel in leaves also, this time with a vine maple.  The leaves didn't appear to be very textured / veined, so I didn't know how they'd turn out, but I was also very pleased with the result :
Beautiful nature inspired leaf imprint ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
Here are the various steps :
Beautiful leaf imprint ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
Pressing the leaves into the side of the vessel, this time using the roller I ordered from China (instead of the side of a ballpoint pen, and getting ink all over my hand).
Beautiful leaf imprint and textured ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
Texturing with my rubber tipped tool, starting from the bottom, and carefully avoiding my artist's signature.
Beautiful unique leaf imprint ceramic pottery hand thrown vessel - in progress.
Finishing at the top.  Then carefully removing the leaves.

One of the other projects I've been wanting to make, which was inspired by my "Mud in Your Eye" course, is a Bartmann or Bellarmine jug.  Last week I threw 5 such jugs, so this week I added handles and the Bartmann ("bearded man") faces and embellishments.  I am super happy with the results.  We had a number of people from the soda firing class attend the drop-in workshop, including Arlynn Nobel, the instructor.  She encouraged me to save these Bartmann jugs for when I can get into a soda firing class (they are very popular, and usually have a waiting list by the time the class is announced).  I think I'll experiment with a couple of them in the Cone 10 gas firing, and save my favourites for a soda firing one day.

Here are my Bartmann jugs in progress :
Bartmann or Bellarmine ceramic pottery jugs, in progress.
...and from the side :
Bartmann or Bellarmine ceramic pottery jugs, in progress.
I really had fun with these, as you can probably tell.

I also brought home my first set of pieces from the first Cone 10 firing.  I will be posting photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment