Today was a long, but productive day. I ended up throwing 9 pieces, many of which need to be finished next week, and then after that, there is only 1 more class in which we'll be glazing anything we have left. Wow, the course goes by quickly.
The load of finished items just came out of the Cone 10 glaze firing tonight, as we were leaving. I found 5 of the 10 pieces I had glazed last week, and brought them home already.
I was really happy that Fredi (the instructor that I admire and hope to take one of her classes some day) asked me if I would be able to provide one of my teapots (the ones with the flower cutout for a lid) for a student ceramics display. That would be awesome. I'm very honoured. Now I need to make sure I glaze them well!
I should note that in general, I feel a bit frustrated by the glazing process. I am still learning how the glazes behave, and most of the time, it is not how I had hoped they would. So the pieces end up still being "nice", but not nearly as spectacular as I had imagined when I picked out the glaze combinations.
#26 from the last course. But in this one, I decided to make it look more intentionally like a lily, with red petals and yellow throat. The closest I could find in our Cone 10 glazes was to paint the inside (throat) Bamboo, then wax it over, and dip the piece in Copper Red. I remembered to add freckles of Black Overglaze. I am please that the freckles showed up well. I am not impressed by the Copper Red, it is too milky for my taste, but overall I like the piece.
this one after cutting, and this one the glazing. I painted and then scraped off Tenmoku in the lines of the leaves. Then brushed the leaves with Matt Green, waxed them over, filled the inside with Bamboo, and dipped the outside in Deep Blue. I like the Bamboo and Deep Blue combinations. I'm not sure the Matt Green on Tenmoku was the best combination, it didn't come out clearly. Perhaps Deep Blue would have been a better companion to the Matt Green. The Deep Blue came through very nicely in Fredi's demo items. So I'll know for next time.
Clear like I did last time, which caused the flowers to show pure white, I decided to dip the bottom (soil line) in Matt Green, then dipped the whole piece in Celadon. Which gave it a slight greenish hue, and the whole thing looks a bit too faded to me (compared to the unglazed colour of the Green slip, shown at center). Again, a learning experience.
I hope to pick up more next week, and have lots more in progress. Here is a sneak peak of a few items I was starting on today...
garden blog, since I bought it in 2011!) Anyhow, I finally decided to test out the mold, whether it worked. Next thing I knew, I had found this mold for a shallow bowl, and was assembling a leaf-ringed ceramic bowl... As you can notice in the photo, I started with the tips of the leaves pointing out, but part way along, realized that there would be a good chance those tips would be broken off, so started overlapping them on the adjacent leaf. I didn't want to go back and tear out the leaves I had places already. I'm sure this will not be the last plate like this that I attempt.
Okay, enough of the sneak previews, you'll just have to wait for the remainder. Stay tuned!