Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Glazed Over after all the Glazing Today

Today I glazed 17 pieces from this class, and 2 old pieces which were unfinished from the last term.  Most of the decorative pieces, I finished by spraying in Clear glaze, but I also experimented with various stains and underglazes / overglazes also.  I remembered to take a few photos of the pieces, as I went along.

For the two crackle vases in the center, I experimented with stains and underglazes to bring out the crackled texture.  I think these could turn out pretty nicely :

This carved piece for my garden totem is highlighted with underglazes (some which I bought recently, since the pottery studio doesn't have enough color choices available to me) :

These are all pieces for my garden totem.  I think I have 12 or 13 so far :

They look dull after spraying in Clear glaze, but I am looking forward to seeing the crackle vases when finished :

I also added the foot to my large bowl.  The instructor intended for us to make bird baths, but I don't have a good place for a bird bath, and a large bowl for the kitchen would be much more useful.

I also tweaked the tulip vases, so they will not look like morning glories anymore.  Didn't have my camera with me at the time, but I was very pleased by the final result.

Since I did most of my glazing this week (I only had 3 pieces left, and the others which are not bisqued yet), I hope to continue making more pieces next week.  Perhaps another large bowl, and the lantern for which I extruded a long rectangular section last week, but didn't have time to work on today.  I would love to throw some large pieces also, maybe make some more garden faces.  We have only 3 classes left, and although I will run out of time, I will definitely not run out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment