Sunday, December 16, 2018

My First Commissioned Piece : Mickey Urn

Sadly, my first sort of commissioned piece was an urn for my sister's beloved canine friend, Mickey.  Since my sister is a Mickey Mouse fanatic, and her dog was named after Mickey Mouse, she looked long and hard for a Disney urn for him, but couldn't find anything suitable.  So she asked me to make him one.

I knew it had to have Mickey ears, and be the red and black Mickey colors, but I was really pleased that I could also use Mickey font and add my own handmade paw print stamps to it, for a really special result (with sincere apologies to the Disney Corporation for license infringement, I would never have done it except my sister was desperate and had searched the entire magic kingdom to no avail) :
 






It turned out even sweeter than I had hoped.  But then in a nasty twist of fate, the wax with alumina hydrate which I used between the lid and the vessel, which was supposed to keep the two pieces apart, didn't work.  So I ended up with this absolutely adorable pet urn, with the lid fused solid to it.

Over a series of evenings, I tried everything I could think of, or read about, involving tapping, freezing, thawing, freezing and dipping the lid in near-boiling water, spraying with WD40, and praying, and more tapping.  I only came short of using a blow torch on it, since I don't have a torch (although a friend of mine is offering a dessert torch to try).

So I'm afraid unless a miracle happens, I may need to start over again, and make another urn for my sister, this time a functional one.

At least on my second try, I think I'll keep it simpler, as on the first one, I had carved the name, and then finished all the black parts in black slip, before I started to doubt that it would be black enough, and then repeated them all in black underglaze.  The next time I'll keep it simple, and go straight to the red underglaze and black underglaze.  And I'm pretty sure I'll fire the two pieces separately in the final firing, taking the chance of warping over the chance that they may fuse again.
 

7 comments:

  1. This is very lovely! Love the paw prints! Dessert blow torch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. High Quality Natural, Organic & Vegan Friendly Skin Care Health Products | Skin Origin
    High Quality Natural, Organic & Vegan Friendly Skin Care Health Products | Skin Origin
    Skin Origin is an Australian based supplier of high quality Natural, Organic & Vegan
    Friendly Skin Care Health Products body oils, body soap,skin creams.
    Organic & Vegan
    Friendly Skin Care Health Products body oils, body soap,skin creams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much!! My dog, also named Mickey, has earned his wings today. He was 18 years old. I named him Mickey because he had 3 black spots on his back that were the shape of Disney’s Mickey Mouse’s head. So he was meant to have that name. I would love to have an urn like this for him but I’m having trouble finding one too 😪

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ceramic Market Size shall reach a value of $xx Million in 2028, growing with a CAGR of 9.1% during the forecast period of 2021 to 2028.
    You can acquire more information on the following website
    👇🏻
    Ceramic market

    ReplyDelete