Saturday, November 4, 2017

Finished Leaf Plates

Continuing from the mugs which I picked up recently...  I made quite a number of leaf plates this year, as last year the leaves disappeared before I felt I had experimented enough with them.  Here are the first few which came through the glaze firing.  The photos are a bit dark, as I took them on a cloudy day, but the colors turned out more beautiful than the photos indicate :

6) This little plate is formed from an oakleaf hydrangea leaf, and features a ladybug, a gentle curved surface, and a small foot.  I glazed Deep Blue into the veins, and then dipped in Tam's Green which was not mixed well, so instead of a green / blue, it is a mottled brown / yellow / green / blue.  Quite nice Autumn colors.

7) This little plate is formed from a fig leaf, and features a single ladybug, and a small circular foot.  It has the same glaze treatment :Deep Blue into the veins, and then dipped in Tam's Green which was not mixed well.  I really like how this one turned out.

8) This little dish was formed from a hosta leaf, and features a ladybug and circular foot.  It was dipped in Ash Yellow and then Tam's Green.  Another time I may stir the Tam's Green a bit more, to get more green.  But I also like this fading browning Fall look.  I think it would make a great little plate for serving out some appies, or sushi.

9) It already snowed Nov 3, which is early for Vancouver.  So it may be a longer winter than usual.  But I look forward to building more garden totems next year, in the Spring.  This little Buddleia (butterfly bush)  leaf with two ladybugs will be part of one of those totems.  It was dipped in Matt Green and then Tam's Green.  Again, nice Autumn golds and browns.

10) Again, a butterfly bush leaf, and again, destined for a garden totem.  This one dipped in Tam's Green only, so a more typical Summer color of Buddleia.

I have a few more items in the cone 10 glaze firing at the moment, so hope to have more photos soon. Including a couple more items from the speckly H440 brown clay.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment