Monday, October 16, 2017

More Lids

Every class with Fredi is so packed with new ideas and approaches.  I am really pleased with how much I am learning and exploring.

I tried out another method for making the smooth-profile lids which I am currently fascinated by.  Last week we learned to start from a closed form.  Today it was thrown in two pieces, and then fit together.  Mine actually fit fairly well :
After a bit of trimming, I had this :
I then did a bit of decorating with white slip, but forgot to take photos - and even forgot my pot outside (I was letting it dry in the breeze), and was lucky that when I phoned my instructor, she hadn't left yet, so was able to pull in my pot for me.

I am enjoying the challenge of making plates, so threw 2 more.  This one dried enough to decorate :

Since there are no finished pieces - or test tiles - with the H440 clay, I hope to glaze and fire a couple at a time, so I can learn what works and what doesn't.  I even considered making some test tiles, so I can try out more glaze combinations.  Maybe Wednesday.

While the leaves are still on the trees (not for much longer!) I have also made a few more leaf dishes and totem pieces :

I am hopeful that my 2 day course on making hump and slump moulds will go ahead this week and next week.  When I checked on Sunday, only 5 of the 10 spots were filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment